Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Large Wind Turbines in NC mountains

The NC Senate Finance committee, a few hours ago, approved an amendment to a bill that would prevent the construction of large wind turbines in certain mountain counties. In addition, the bill would impose strict siting requirements on wind turbines in the coastal area. This is a victory for those who love to watch the birds soar along the ridge lines in the mountains, as well as those who love the views in the mountains.

In the coastal areas wind turbines have the capability of greatly disturbing the habitat of birds that fish in our sounds. While direct birds strikes is the most well known and discussed problem of wind turbines, (and, of course, very bad for the bird that was struck) another, less well known effect is on the bird habitat. Often birds in the hills and mountains soar on the updrafts. In coastal areas birds often feed in one area of the sounds and sleep in trees on land. They commute each morning and evening from one area to the other. Lines of wind turbines interrupt these commuting patterns and force the birds to move to other areas. In the mountains they prevent the birds from using the ridge lines for hunting small game.

I certainly hope that the full Senate and the House will approve the bill. Yes, we do need to find alternative forms of energy, but not at the expense of the birds and other wildlife.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of guy who enjoys to try new things. Currently I am building my private solar panels. I'm managing it all by myself without the help of my staff. I am utilizing the internet as the only path to acheive that. I stumbled upon a truly amazing website that explains how to make pv panels and so on. The site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not sure about how precise the info given there is. If some guys over here who had experience with these works can have a look and give your feedback in the thread it would be grand and I'd highly value it, cause I truly would love to try [URL=http://apennootje.blogwogin.com/2009/11/10/solar-panel-construction-at-home]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. U guys rock.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.